Monday, March 7, 2011

2. Green Day

Don't wanna be an American Idiot? Well then you should probably listen to 'em.
These 3 middle aged men have transformed what we now know as punk rock. Billy Joe, Tre' Cool, and Mike Dirnt have this bad ass aura surrounding them at all time. Green Day has been around for longer than most bands could ever dream of. Despite the critics and dumb fans still stuck in the early 90's, GD continues to release amazing, in-your-face-i-dont-give-a-(fill in the blank)-what-you-think songs and each one goes on to be a chart topping success. While most hardcore fans complain that they have sold out to the mainstream, even though I have to agree somewhat, at least they are still doing what they know how to do, create good music. And if that means we have to share our best kept secret with the rest of the world...so be it.
Green Day made me want to understand politics. I was in 6th grade when American Idiot was released and I wanted to know what they meant in Holiday and Jesus of Suburbia. They're emotionally raw charged anthems make you get out of your seat and jump around, don't tell me that you don't have anything to do with that. From Dookie to Nimrod, Insomniac to 21st Century Breakdown, every album continues to be a little taste of west coast rebellion.
I've been to more concerts than I can count on 100 fingers, but the Green Day concert two summers ago, still to this day, has got to be the greatest show I've ever seen. I will never ever forget how I felt on that night. I have a feeling Green Day will forever and always be in my opinion, the greatest band of all time. I'm proud to share the bay area with them, and they will always have a spot in my CD player and my heart.

Songs you have to listen to:
-Brainstew
-Basketase
-Are We the Waiting
-Before the Lobotomy

No comments:

Post a Comment